Junior Legal Counsel
Who are we?
Queenstown Lakes District Council is at the very heart of the community, employing over 500 staff; we manage infrastructure development, community recreational facilities and planning, building and other regulatory services. With an annual operational budget of over $100m and a capital expenditure programme of $990m over ten years, we are a major part of the district’s economy.
QLDC’s legal team provides legal advice across the organisation and represents the Council in litigation on a variety of matters. We are a team of six lawyers divided into two teams each responsible for a key risk area (RMA/ Regulatory and Corporate). This role presents an opportunity to be part of this team, working in a fast paced environment dealing with big city issues in a small community which is exciting and challenging.
Work-life balance is important to the team and the organisation. Equally important is our commitment to being recognised as a high functioning legal service unit.
The Junior Legal Counsel will report to the Associate Counsel responsible for the Resource Management and Regulatory legal team. You will support and learn from the other members of the legal team and the Council’s legal panel to develop their legal skills.
You will have opportunities to interact with all business units in the organisation, develop relationships and apply their legal skills. You will deliver legal advice to the organisation with the support of other members of the legal team.
The Council’s legal team covers a large variety of issues and this junior role is a great opportunity to explore a number of different areas of the law in a well-supported team environment.
To succeed in this role you will need to be eager to learn, motivated to deliver great results and be willing to work as part of a high functioning team.
- Tertiary bachelor qualification in law and hold a current New Zealand practising certificate or be working towards obtaining one.
- Some PQE in the areas of local government, public, commercial, litigation and/or resource management law will be advantageous.
- Eagerness to learn new skills and apply existing skills to any problem.
- Good documentation experience.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal customers and legal service providers.
- Demonstrated ability to take on responsibility and use initiative to prioritise and work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Conveys a professional and positive image, with a courteous and efficient manner.
- Highly motivated, achievement-oriented and innovative professional.
- Competitive market remuneration
- Career progression and training opportunities
- Regular working hours
- Subsidised Health Insurance
- Discounted health and fitness club rates at our great facilities
- Company social club
- Relocation allowance will be considered for the right candidates
For more information, or to apply, please visit www.qldc.govt.nz/jobs
Applications close: 17 September 2019