Fire and Emergency New Zealand is a newly unified organisation, bringing together our country’s urban and rural fire services. The formation of Fire and Emergency New Zealand represents a once in a generation opportunity to enable New Zealand to have a fit for purpose 21st century fire and emergency organisation that is flexible, adaptable and efficient. A Crown Entity, Fire and Emergency New Zealand is bound by the Fire and Emergency Act 2017, and works to provide a fire and emergency service that delivers for communities, and the fire fighters serving our communities, now and in the future.
A newly created Chief Legal Advisor, Office of the Chief Executive position has been established to lead Fire and Emergency New Zealand’s legal function. A key position within the organisation, the Chief Legal Advisor will provide high quality, specialist legal advice and support to the Strategic Leadership Team, Operational Leadership Team and national Headquarters Business units. Reporting to the Director, Office of the Chief Executive, the role will cover a broad range of regulatory, corporate, compliance and operational matters.
We are seeking a highly competent people leader who has a proven track record in the provision of robust and pragmatic commercial and regulatory legal advice. The ideal applicant will have gained extensive post qualification experience, preferably in-house (government or corporate), and will have demonstrable leadership skills evidenced by your experience in building and managing a high-performance team.
It is a given that you possess exemplary written and verbal communication skills, and a natural propensity to remove legalese. To be successful, you will be:
- recognised for your pragmatic approach and your outstanding relationship management skills with both internal and external stakeholders
- skilled at developing integrated legal risk management frameworks and implementing practices accordingly
- committed to developing and growing your team and contributing the broader organisation’s education through providing legal and legally related training
- well versed in the machinery of government, including in relation to privacy and official information
- commercially astute, with highly developed skills in relation to procurement and property
- an influencer with the ability and desire to get across the organisation and consistently add value
This is a rare opportunity to become an intrinsic member of an organisation voted the most trusted public sector organisation in New Zealand. Bring your legal skills to an environment that values collaboration, knowledge and information sharing, and forward thought.
For a confidential discussion or a copy of the position description, please contact Jane Wellik, Manager Legal & Policy on 04 471 5873, or send your CV through to email@example.com.